Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Why be a Volunteer Puppy Raiser?

When I am out with Helper I meet lots of people.  During these interactions I tell folks a little bit about Canine Companions for Independence and explain my role as a Volunteer Puppy Raiser.  Then Helper dazzles her new fans by executing a few of my commands!  During these interactions one of the most common comments I hear is "How do you give her up after having her all that time...I could never do that".  I tell people that it will be very hard but that I know how important Helper will be to someone with a disability.  Next I tell them about the person who brought me into the CCI organization.  His name is Jason Morgan and he is a retired Air Force Staff Sergeant ... he was a Combat Meteorologist in Special Operations.  Jason was injured in the line of duty in South America in 1999.  A couple of years ago he got his first service dog...Napal.  Napal is a handsome Black Labrador that is always at Jason's side.  Jason says that Napal has positively changed his life!  Together they make appearances at special events to help get the word out for CCI and Wounded Warriors.  Jason is a true inspiration!  He is the reason I can look beyond the sadness I will experience when Helper leaves me.  CCI dogs make a positive difference in the lifes of many people!

The picture below of Helper and Jason was taken a couple of months ago by the Editor of Plano Profile Magazine when they were doing a story on Jason.  Helper loves Jason!

No comments:

Post a Comment