Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Preliminary Match Was Made Today!

I got the call I was waiting for from Canine Companions for Independence (CCI) this morning...Helper was matched to be a Facility Dog!  It is considered preliminary because Helper's new partner will spend 24 hours a day with her from today until next weeks graduation.  This Tuesday CCI will tell me if the match "held" over the weekend.  If it does Helper will graduate on Valentines Day!  What I know about Helper's new person is that she is a 43 year old woman with a husband and two children.  I am so happy that Helper will be living with a family!!!!

I have had several questions about "what a Facility dog does" so I will attempt to clarify it here.  As I have mentioned in previous blog entries, CCI places four types of assistance dogs.  They are 1)  Facility Dogs (partner and dog), 2)  Service Dogs (disabled partner and dog), 3)  Skilled Companion (team of disabled person, caregiver and dog) and 4)  Hearing Assistance Dogs (non hearing partner and dog).  A Facility dog goes to work with their partner in a Heath Care, Educational or Visitation setting.  As an example, Helper could become a courthouse dog and help put people (many time children) at ease prior to or during a trail.  She could go to work in a health care setting where patients are encourages to walk her or brush her to improve their physical strength.  In an educational setting she could go to work with a teacher of autistic children where they are encouraged to communicate with Helper and rewarded by being able to give her treats.  The possibilities are endless!

I am thrilled about her match because Helper is a very social dog and these jobs will give her a chance to touch many people everyday!  Additionally, at the end of a work day she will go home with her partner to a family which I am sure will love her as much as I do!

I will give a quick update next week when I hear back from CCI about the match.  In the meantime, take a look at Miss Helper when she was about 8 weeks old in my back yard...too cute!




No comments:

Post a Comment